*IMPORTANT: These are old wife’s tales, legends, etc. They are not meant to be used as a cure or remedy for anything. While these were actually published in old book, some might be detrimental to your health and/or safety if used. They are only provided here for your amusement and entertainment!
- Tie a leather thong around your waist and the appendicitis will enter the thong. Take the thong and tie it around a tree and the sickness will enter the tree.
- Dissolve 3/4 teaspoon powder pectin (or 1-tablespoon liquid pectin) in a glass of purple grape juice. Drink once a day. This is from an Amish doctor and about 60% of the people who try it say it really works. The liquid dissolves better than the powder.
- Take a dead cat into the woods to a hollow stump that has spunk in it. Twirl the cat overhead and then toss the cat to the south. Walk away north but do not look back.
- Carry a potato in your pocket. It will not rot, but harden as it absorbs the arthritis.
- If a child has asthma stand him up against a tree and drive a nail in the tree an inch above his head. If the child grows an inch in the next year, the asthma will disappear.
- Smear your head with fresh cow manure.
- For thinning hair make a solution of salt and water and comb through hair every day until you see hair becoming thicker.
- The Liquid obtained from boiling old boots was used to promote the growth of hair on the face of young men—an attempt to appear more masculine.
- Mix up honey and dirt dauber’s nest and rub it on the sting.
- Catch a chaparral bird (roadrunner) in the early morning. Kill and eat it and the boil will go away.
- Soak a small section of heel of homemade white bread in boiling water. Squeeze with back of spoon. Lay on sterile gauze or boiled cloth. Add pinch baking soda (1/4 tsp). Mix with soaked bread, wrap in gauze and apply to affected area.
- Apply ice wrapped in damp washcloth until pain stops. No scaring will occur.
- Go to the lot and make a calf get up and defecate. Put the feces in a flour sack and cover the burn with it. Leave it on until the next morning.
- Apply strong tea to the burned area
- Take a new broom and sweep across his back in the sign of a cross.
Colds – Curing
- Catching leaves in your hand, which fall from the trees in the fall, will cure a head cold.
Colds – Preventing
- Eat an onion sandwich and wash your hair.
- Close the windows and doors of the baby’s room and have the father keep smoking a pipe or cigar.
- Put some cow dung in water and bring it to a boil. Gargle the water three times a day and your cough will be gone.
- Bake onions and pour all the juice from the baked onions into a glass and drink.
Crick in the Neck
- Go down to the hog pen and find where a hog has rubbed his neck against the fence, then rub your neck in the same spot.
- Pack sheep droppings into a tobacco sack and soak in warm water. Apply the sack to your neck and wear it until the choking spell is over.
- Pack the cut in axle grease.
- Take a large army ant and apply him to the cut, so that he takes hold of each side of the wound with his pincers. Cut his head off from his body, leaving his head to hold the cut together.
- Apply spider’s web to a bleeding cut.
- To one quart of water, add one ounce of sulphur. Shake very well very two hours and saturate the head every morning with the liquid. Dandruff will disappear, leaving hair bright and glossy.
- Eat several coconut cookies (some say this really works.)
- Have someone blow tobacco smoke into the ear five times while saying, “Hurt, hurt, go away; go into a bale of hay.”