GeneaBlogs is responsibile for maintaining and backing up the WordPress database as well as managing the WordPress repository of files (programs, scripts, plugins, themes, images, uploads). Ultimately, the smooth operation of a blog depends on the website owner fulfilling this ‘ultimate role’.
Summary of Roles
- Administrator and personal blog owner – Somebody who has access to all the administration feature
- Editor – Somebody who can publish posts, manage posts as well as manage other people’s posts, etc.
- Author – Somebody who can publish and manage their own posts
- Contributor – Somebody who can write and manage their posts but not publish posts
- Subscriber – Somebody who can read comments/comment/receive news letters, etc.
The default role for a new user can be set using the Settings General SubPanel. Each blog owner can add users to their blog and assign them the above Roles.
GeneaBlogs suggests that you limit your users to either “subscriber” or as a “contributor” only.
The identity a particular user assumes in a blog is called their Role. A Role essentially describes the set of tasks, called Capabilities, a person is allowed to perform. For instance, the role of Administrator encompasses every possible task that can be performed within a WordPress blog. On the other hand, the Author role allows the execution of just a small subset of tasks.